Debbie & Rocky, Saskatchewan Canada

Friendship Training Forums FT Family About You & Your Horse Debbie & Rocky, Saskatchewan Canada

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 22 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Trisha Stewart 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Debbie Tornblom
    Participant

Rocky and I have been together since he was an untouched 18-month old. I don’t ride him but he has been sat upon a few times since last year when he turned eight. He doesn’t mind, but riding him is not a priority or goal.
    I enjoy just hanging out with him, and we do a few activities at liberty when he agrees to. He knows come, walk, back, stand, and his favourite – hug. He will push a big ball back and forth with me. He is a quiet guy. When we walk together and I urge him, he will not trot, resolutely continuing to walk and doesn’t see why I would want to, I guess. But if he has reason to, he will go from 0 to 60 in a split second. It is awesome to witness his potential strength and speed. It is electric to be near him when he is in flight mode!
    He willingly puts his head into the halter when I take him out to ‘greener grass’, especially in the autumn when the big pasture has become less lush.
    I am very happy in his presence and enjoy the other horses in his group as well. They belong to other people, but are retired. Some were very nervous to be approached at first, head shy and wary. They have been trained in the cowboy style and are not as trusting as Rocky is. Now some are very friendly to me, but a couple just avoid any contact.
    I can ramble on about Rocky and the other horses that he is with.
    Chuck’s Friendship Training information changed my thinking for the better, and has made our horse-human relationship very satisfying and relaxed.
    http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s98/debbiet_2007/image.jpg2_1.jpg” alt=”Rocky”

Debbie Tornblom
    Participant

Rocky is a 9-1/2 year old quarter horse. We have been together here in Saskatchewan Canada for 8 years. Since learning much from Chuck’s recommended reading, watching the β€˜Cloud’ videos and the preconditioning exercise, we have learned to trust each other more and more. Rocky agrees to do a number of things I ask him to, and he prefers the hug to any other activity. It quite charms me, and I guess he knows that.
    Friendship Training has led me to the treasure that lies in a field of horses, which includes Rocky and also other members of the group he shares it with.
    I have learned to be more patient in all parts of my life because of the Friendship Training influence. I am very content with my relationship with Rocky but am interested in learning more about giving him the best life I can.

I look forward to continuing to learn in this new web format.
    (I copied and pasted this post from the General forum to this Family forum)

Trisha Stewart
    Participant

Thanks Debbie, the forum is coming together now, hopefully I wont have to ask anyone else to re-write anything. It is lovely to hear about you and Rocky.

Check out how to load a video, be great to see you and your herd and I am sure Chuck will want to see how you are doing πŸ™‚

Debbie Tornblom
    Participant

Here is a video for Chuck to see and I don’t mind anyone else seeing it as well. It is an unedited honest look at 15 minutes of interaction with Rocky to show a bit of our relationship. As we went back out to the field a flock of Canada geese flew low overhead. I wonder if Rocky heard them assembling to take off from a nearby pond. They can be quite noisy. After a while the horses don’t pay attention to geese (we are in a flyway) but the first flocks of summer’s end may be a bit of a surprise to them.
    After taking this video, I went out and joined Rocky and his mates. Rocky was all calm being next to his buddy and actually sleeping, as it was late morning nap time. I sat on the ground among the group and enjoyed the breeze. After 10 minutes or so three of the seven horses laid down. I stayed with them for another half hour or so, then left them still dozing.
    https://youtu.be/7Jm_yJFZ77s

Trisha Stewart
    Participant

Hi Debbie, thank you so much for sending in the video and a lovely message πŸ™‚

I don’t think Chuck has seen this yet and as we are all in different time zones that makes it a little more difficult for immediate interaction ha…

The video requires access as it is, quite rightly, a private video. Let us know what we need to access it please.

Chuck Mintzlaff
    Participant

Drat! It said ‘video unavailable.’

πŸ™

Debbie Tornblom
    Participant

Ha, okay, I have set it to “public” The instructions said to make it private and I don’t know any way that you could view it other than by making it public?

Hope this will work now πŸ™‚

Chuck Mintzlaff
    Participant

Beautiful Debbie! We could see that ‘something’ was REALLY bothering him.

Soft, patient persistence and reassurance pays off!

Well done!!!

Debbie Tornblom
    Participant

Hi, Here is our time together today. I wanted to show that this is more typical of Rocky’s calm disposition. It was hot and the flies were out in force. This is the time of year when I take him out with his halter because the grass in the pasture is not as appealing as the lawn and yard. We venture a little farther each day. He tends to be very wary and I would like if he felt confident like Tilly does with Ian πŸ™‚ Hoping more FT exercises will make that possible.

FT Editor
    Keymaster

Debbie that is amazing! its great to see others do their stuff, I am mega pleased with this. Chuck will do the critique later lol, I am loving this.
    What type of device are you using to record the video?

Debbie Tornblom
    Participant

Thanks! I hope to be an encouragement for other Family members to post videos. I learn from seeing myself and my movements, too.
    I use a Flip video camera, edit on PC with a program called Cyberlink Power Director 12, save as a WMV file to YouTube. It was time consuming to figure out the video process, but I can do some simple editing now and manage to upload to YouTube.

Trisha Stewart
    Participant

Wow, that is super smart, I was thinking about using my phone but I don’t think it will work very well, I do have a video camera somewhere lol
    And yes, it is encouraging, I just need others to bring theirs in too.

Debbie Tornblom
    Participant

I use the Flip camera because I already have had it for years. My iPhone takes very good photos and video, but doesn’t have an attachment for the tripod. I think you can get a tripod adapter for the phone. I would have gone that route but I have the Flip so- no waiting, lol.

Debbie Tornblom
    Participant

Is this the place to post a video for Chuck to see, or should I post elsewhere? Chuck gave feedback on my first video, but not the second. Not sure if he realizes it is here. Is that what the preconditioning section is for? How do I know what Chuck might suggest for our lessons. Where would we communicate?

FT Editor
    Keymaster

You are in the right place Debbie, Chuck will get to it today and this is where you communicate, we both get notified when anyone posts on the forum. Do remember we are all in different time zones πŸ™‚

Chuck Mintzlaff
    Participant

Drat! Must be a technical issue as I can’t see the second video.

IT guru, we need you!!!

Debbie Tornblom
    Participant

Chuck Mintzlaff
    Participant

THERE it IS!!

Loved it! Especially the ball playing!!

One thing I might have done differently is unsnapping the lead rope and draping it across his back. That way if anything should startle him, it would just fall off.

If you let it attached unattended and he spooked even a little at something, he might step on it. That could result in a host of problems.

Debbie Tornblom
    Participant

Thanks, Chuck, I’m glad you could finally see it. I cannot remove the duplicate posts. Perhaps the web editor could please do that.

The reason I drape the rope is so that I can easily guide him away from going into the farmer’s big garden you can see in the video. He is pretty interested in the garden when he gets close to it.

Up until last week, I held the rope while he grazed on the lawn but I wanted to give him more freedom to pick his own way around and not feel like I was restricting him and explore new territory on his own terms. He has spooked a couple of times, but the rope has not come loose onto the ground.

I agree that you are absolutely right about the possibility that it may come off and he could hurt himself stepping on it. He does often come to me when I ask, but I hate to risk him wrecking anything in the garden, and I can’t count on him listening if he has his eye set on a nice bush to browse.

My rationale has been that it is easier and safer for me to reach the rope, and a calmer move than rushing to his head to grab the halter.

He really likes to go out to graze now that the pasture is getting picked over, but perhaps I will have to rethink the situation. I think I would rather have him safe than at risk in the halter and rope. (Even if he spooks while I hold the rope, he can pull it out of my hand – same problem).

It is grazing him near the garden that poses the problem, and the fact that I feel it necessitates me using a ‘gadget’, right? I think I will consider this, and think of another thing he might enjoy without the risk of doing him harm.

It has helped to think about this and look at my written explanation to you.

Trisha Stewart
    Participant

Hi Debbie, so glad you got your feedback and that it was helpful! it’s great to be able to see Chuck critique your video, I am learning from it too.
    I promise I will put one up soon, I have a problem with other horses around and things going on the farm, I love you place it looks so peaceful and love how Rocky likes hanging out with you.
    It is inspiring πŸ™‚

Debbie Tornblom
    Participant

I look forward to seeing a video of you and your horse. I know how challenging it can be to find the right time and place. There are six other horses with Rocky and other people on the farm might be on tractor, lawn mower, quad. Sometimes Rocky might be sleeping, or dozing in the shade with a buddy swishing flies from each other. I really have benefitted from learning to have no agenda. And I find it fun to think up a new plan, or just do nothing and hang out with him watching the grass grow.

I didn’t notice the ladybug until I watched this video I took while Rocky was sleeping. Pardon my knee on the right.

Debbie Tornblom
    Participant

Today, Rocky followed me in from the pasture, leaving the herd behind. I could tell he was anxious to go on our usual outing. I thought about options and decided to take Rocky out to graze with just his halter and no lead rope. All went well. He was free to wander, but I could see he was keeping his eye on me. I put no pressure on him but asked him to come to me a couple of times. The first time he didn’t come right away, but after a minute he did. The second time he did come right over. (I thanked him and gave him a treat) He enjoyed the green grass and stayed away from the garden. We were both relaxed and it felt very companionable.
    After a half hour or so, the other horses eventually meandered up from the pasture to the other side of the fence by the lawn where we were. Rocky decided all on his own to leave off grazing and go to the gate to ask to rejoin his mates. I didn’t have to touch his halter except to put it on and take it off! It was a happy visit.

Trisha Stewart
    Participant

That is so nice Debbie and he knew he had the choice.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.