Dentist

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Judith Snell
    Participant

I have the dentist coming tomorrow for Shiloh and thought I’d get Theo checked as well. Now I’m in a panic thinking I haven’t done anything to prepare him. This will be his first time. Is there anything I need to do to get him prepared? I can cancel for Theo if I need to. My friend who always uses this dentist says that he is very good with them. He checked her young one.

Trisha Stewart
    Participant

Heck Judy, Chuck will be around later and he will advise I am sure. This is something I have been avoiding, had Willow 2.5 years and never had the dentist out, trimming is bad enough, mind you I have only been working with Chuck this year so not expecting miracles there yet.

Are you expecting him to do anything except look? I was told that if a dentist uses no power tools it is better, I feel anxious for you, I cannot imagine how it will be for me whenever that day comes, just makes you think how much more you should be doing instead of just enjoying your horse lol! well I do.

Look forward to hearing all about it. Good luck!

Chuck Mintzlaff
    Participant

Possibly too many unknown factors to give accurate suggestions Judy. Is the vet’s exam just a cursory peek’? Or are they going to actually use a dental wedge or speculum? How old is he?

In ANY case, have a goodly supply of Theo’s favorite treat on hand!

But your question DOES bring up a good point! At least missing link in our FT Program and one that rightly SHOULD have been addressed LONG ago, (preparation for dental work!!)

Judith Snell
    Participant

Well the dentist came and just blew me away! So impressed with him. He was calm and friendly with Theo, kept talking the whole time, especially to me ( I think he knew I was a bit worried) Theo was amazing, he was so good, handled it beautifully, Ben (the dentist) was very happy with him. He didn’t hold him on line, he put the rope loosly around his neck and just calmly moved with him. And gave Theo a couple of little brakes. He had a little filing done ( he is 2 yrs next month Chuck)
    Shiloh also had his teeth done and I was worried for him as he isn’t a fan of things in his mouth and I’ve seen him go up a couple of times. But today he was amazing too. I think a combination of Ben and FT. Shiloh needed filing as he has lost a couple of teeth at the back on top, and the bottom tooth was growing too long and not allowing him to chew properly, also this could be causing his problems in his chest muscles. Funnily enough, after his afternoon feed, I was putting him back in his paddock and he had a spring in his step. Lol. Yahoo!
    So all good for another 12 months.

Judith Snell
    Participant

Trisha, he didn’t use power tools. Just a rasp.

Chuck Mintzlaff
    Participant

Oh GOSH!!!

That is SO good to hear!!!!

TWO? Two years old????????????????Oh Lordie! One of those dreaded “teenagers’!!!! Same-same for humans and horses.

You have my condolences. lol

Am SO happy to hear things all turned out OK!!!

Sounds like Ben deserves a little publicity hear and on our FT Facebook group. Think he’s mind?

Judith Snell
    Participant

Chuck, I don’t think he is suited to our group. Most of the talk was around when am I breaking him in. Time to get a bit in his mouth. I told him I’m not Breaking him in until he is at least 4 yrs old( that I will be doing FT and he just looked at me funny, I also said that Theo will never have a bit in his mouth and he and Kylie disagreed with me. So, he is a wonderful dentist and I’ll leave it at that.
    Doing FT with Theo, means going through the Training, he will let me know when or if he is ready. I must say I’m lucky that my daughter is 100% with me on FT and we can talk about it without me having to defend myself at every turn.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.